About This Item
Are you ready to learn karate, but don't know where to begin? Are you intimidated by the unfamiliar terms or the powerful punches? With Karate Basics you'll become an expert in this martial art in no time! You'll learn about:
- The origins of karate - philosophy, history, and different branches of the martial art.
- What really happens in a karate class - invaluable tips on choosing the right school, getting ready for your first class, and basic training methods.
- The essential elements of the style - stances, blocks, thrusts and strikes, punches, and kicks.
- How to complement your karate training with sparring drills and kata.
- Effective ways to successfully progress in karate - creating a training program testing for belt promotion, and an overview of competitions and tournaments.
- Resources that can help you further develop your knowledge of and training in karate.
Whether you're considering taking up this martial art, or you've already started, Karate Basics offers an easy, yet comprehensive introduction to everything you need to know to feel confident and be successful in your practice.
Robin Rielly began training in the Japanese martial arts in 1959. He holds a seventh-degree black belt in Shotokan karate from the International Shotokan Karate Federation (ISKF) and a second-degree black belt in Shin Kage Ryu jujutsu from the Kobukan School in Yokohama, Japan. A graduate of the ISKF instructors' Training Institute, he is qualified as an official instructor, examiner, and tournament judge. He is the author of Complete Shotokan Karate, Secrets of Shotokan Karate, and Japan's Complete Fighting System: Sin Kage Ryu.
By Robin Rielly. Softcover, 192 pages.