About This Item
Are you ready to learn aikido, but don't know where to begin? Are you intimidated by the unfamiliar terms or the powerful techniques? With Aikido Basics you'll become an expert in this martial art in no time! You'll learn about:
- The origins of aikido - philosophy, history, and different styles.
- What really happens in an aikido class - invaluable tips on choosing the right school, getting ready for your fist class, and basic training methods.
- The essential elements - stances, strikes, grabs, throws, and pins.
- How to complement your aikido training with ki exercises, multiple-person training, and freestyle exercises.
- Effective ways to succeed in aikido - create a training program, test for belt promotion, and participate in competitions and tournaments.
- Resources that can help you further develop your aikido training.
Whether you're considering taking up this martial art, or you've already started, Aikido Basics offers an easy, yet comprehensive introduction to everything you need to know to feel confident and successful.
Phong Thong Dang holds a sixth degree black belt in aikido, a sixth degree black belt in tae kwon do, a fifth degree black belt in judo, and an eighth degree black belt in Vietnamese Shaolin kung fu. The World Martial Arts Hall of Fame inducted Dang twice: once for his expertise in aikido and again for his lifelong dedication to the martial arts. He has been in the martial arts for over fifty years and currently teaches in southern California.
Lynn Seiser is an internationally respected psychotherapist, consultant, and trainer. Seiser has over three decades of martial arts training and experience. He currently holds the rank of Nidan (second degree black belt) in Tenshinkai aikido under Sensei Phong Thong Dang.
By Phong Thong Dang & Lynn Seiser. Softcover, 189 pages.