About This Item
Are you ready to learn taekwondo, but don't know where to begin? Are you intimidated by the unfamiliar terms or the flying kicks? With Taekwondo Basics you'll become an expert in this martial art in no time! You'll learn about:
- The origins of taekwondo - philosophy, history, and different branches of the martial art.
- What really happens in taekwondo class - invaluable tips on choosing the right school, getting ready for your first class, and basic training methods.
- The essential elements of the style - stances, blocks, hand and arm strikes, and kicks.
- How to complement your taekwondo training with other conditioning exercises, such as running and biking.
- Effective ways to improve your technique through target training, partner training, competitive training, free-sparring, and more.
- Resources that can help you further develop your knowledge of and training in taekwondo.
Whether you're considering taking up this martial art, or you've already started, Taekwondo Basics offers an easy, yet comprehensive introduction to taekwondo so that you can feel confident and be successful in your practice.
Scott Shaw is one of the world's most prolific proponents of the Korean martial arts. He began training in hapkido and taekwondo as a young boy and today holds master instructor certification in both. He is a frequently published contributor to martial arts magazines and has authored a number of books, including Hapkido: Korean Art of Self-Defense.
By Scott Shaw. Softcover, 192 pages.